Monday, March 17, 2014

We LOVE Dr. Seuss!

Where do I begin with all of the things we did to celebrate Dr. Seuss?! We did one activity Monday-Thursday and then took all of Friday to do Dr. Seuss related activities. Take a look at all of the fun we had!

We started out by reading a book most of my kiddies were familiar with, The Cat in the Hat. After reading, we filled out applications to become Thing 3! They also wrote stories about what what they would do if the Cat in the Hat came to their house.




Second, we read If I Ran the Zoo. We talked about the different crazy animals the zookeeper would put in his zoo and why he wanted them in his zoo. I had each student create their own animal by combining two animal names (Ex: lionpig). After they came up their animal, they wrote a persuasive letter to convince the zookeeper, Mr. McGrew, to put their animal in his zoo.


Next, we read  Go, Dog, Go! Even though it's not written by Dr. Seuss, it's a beginner book and it's great for the kiddies to read! As a class, we discussed what happened in the beginning, middle, and end of the story. Then we shared some of the different dogs in the story and what they were doing. I had each student create their own dog and write what their dog was doing.





Another story we read was One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. There are so many rhyming words in this story, so I had students create a fish by tracing their hand on construction paper and cutting it out. Then they wrote rhyming words on the fingers of their "fish". Finally, they glued their "fish" in their fish bowl and decorated.





The next story we read was a long one, but a great one: Bartholomew and the Oobleck! After reading the story, I mixed corn starch, water, and green food coloring to create Oobleck in our classroom. The students each had a chance to feel the Oobleck. Then they wrote their observations and what it felt like.






On Friday, I asked all of my kiddies to dress in all black so they could become the Cat in the Hat. I drew a nose and whiskers on all of them and then they created their own hat by writing rhyming words on it. Don't we look cute???




Since we read the book The Cat in the Hat earlier in the week, we watched the cartoon version on YouTube. Then we compared and contrasted the movie and book as a class. 


Next, we read Green Eggs and Ham! Instead of making green scrambled eggs, I decided to make green vanilla pudding! I gave each student a little bit with a nilla wafer in the middle, and it looked just like an egg. They were hesitant to try the green "stuff", but once they tasted it, they loved it!





Sam I Am did not want to try the Green Eggs and Ham, so I had my students think of something they would eat and what they would eat it on. I told them both words had to rhyme, which was tough! They worked with a partner to brainstorm ideas of what they could write. Look at what they came up with.




To finish off our Dr. Seuss celebration week, we read Dr. Seuss books with a partner (some of them brought books from home while others read ones I had in class) and then voted on their favorite book. The winner was.........





Bartholomew and the Oobleck!

No comments:

Post a Comment